202101JunAll DayHigh-Level Launch of the Ocean Decade and Ocean Decade Laboratories(All Day: Tuesday) Region:International,OnlineTopic:Ocean Awareness and Literacy,Ocean Community,Ocean opportunitiesCost:No CostCountry:CanadaConfidence:High TagsConference,Free,international,online
The ocean is the largest ecosystem on Earth and central to the survival of nature and humankind. But the ocean is also under massive threat. More than ever before, science
The ocean is the largest ecosystem on Earth and central to the survival of nature and humankind. But the ocean is also under massive threat. More than ever before, science and research are being called upon to join forces with policymakers, society and economic actors to protect and sustainably manage the ocean. To achieve this vision, the United Nations General Assembly proclaimed 2021 to 2030 as the United Nations Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development – the “Ocean Decade”.
With the cancellation of the in-person sessions of the First International Ocean Decade Conference in consequence of the COVID-19 pandemic that were originally planned for May – June 2021, you are invited to celebrate the start of the Ocean Decade with a series of virtual and hybrid events starting from June 2021 to mid-2022.
- A prominent virtual High-Level Launch on 1st of June 2021 marks the official start of the series of events that will make up the First International Ocean Decade Conference. Find the Provisional Event Program here.
- Engage with world leaders and other stakeholders from diverse stakeholder groups including science, industry, UN agencies, philanthropy, governments, NGOs, civil society and community leaders, media, and arts and humanities.
- In addition seven “Ocean Decade Laboratories” will provide interactive sessions from mid-2021 until mid-2022 to catalyze partnerships and co-design Decade Actions. The participatory Laboratories will foster dialogue on overarching Ocean Decade themes: inclusivity, solutions-based ocean science, regional action, and resource mobilization, among others. You can find further information on the event format here.
- Join a collective global movement to create the Ocean we Want!
- More information will be coming soon!
Tuesday, June 1 - 12:00am 2021 - Tuesday, June 1 - 11:59pm 2021